Edgerrin Tyree James ; born August 1, 1978) is a former American football running back who played in the National Football League (NFL) for eleven seasons. James was drafted by the Indianapolis Colts fourth overall in the 1999 NFL Draft and signed a seven - year contract with the team. James also played for the Arizona Cardinals (2006-2008) and Seattle Seahawks(2009). The AP NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year in 1999, he earned four Pro Bowl selections and four All-Pro selections.The Indianapolis Colts selected James in the first round and signed him to a seven-year contract.
James was recruited out of Florida's Immokalee High School by the University of Miami. He proved to be one of the most successful running backs in the school's history. James ranks third in all-time University of Miami rushing yards. He was the only running back in the university's history to post two consecutive seasons with 1,000-plus rushing yards, and he ranks first in school history with the most 100-plus rushing games. On April 23, 2009 ,James was inducted into the University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame at its 41st Annual Induction Banquet .
James quieted the critics and was an immediate success, and was named the 1999 NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year by the Associated Press. James won the NFL rushing title in his first two seasons. He's the most recent player to win the NFL rushing title in his rookie season. Six games into the 2001 season, he tore his ACL. After the 2002 season, where James failed to regain his form of 1999 and 2000, many believed that James would never recover from his knee injury.
However, James rebounded well in 2003, and re-established his place as one of the top running backs in the NFL in 2004 and 2005, with over 1,500 rushing yards in both seasons. James left Indianapolis as their all time leading rusher with 9,226 yards. James was given a Super Bowl ring from the Colts after he left the team in 2006, when they won Super Bowl XLI. On September 23, 2012, James was inducted into the Indianapolis Colts Ring of Honor during the week 3 game against the Jacksonville Jaguars.
James signed a four-year, deal with the Arizona Cardinals on March 23, 2006. James went through a stretch of 10 games out of the 2008 season where he carried the ball only 20 times. Through this time, Ken Whisenhunt brought him in strictly as a pass protector. In Week 17 against the Seattle Seahawks, James carried the ball 14 times for 100 yards. James said he would not come back to Arizona following the 2009 NFL playoffs, despite a year left on his contract. In the Cardinals' first playoff game since 1998, James averaged 4.7 yards per carry and ran for 100 yards. In the Divisional round of the playoffs, James rushed for 57 yards and a touchdown in the Cardinals' upset victory over the heavily favored Carolina Panthers. James rushed for 73 yards in the Cardinals' 32-25 win over the Philadelphia Eagles in the NFC Championship game. James rushed 9 times for 33 yards in the Cardinals' 27-23 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers in Super Bowl XLIII.
After spending the 2009 offseason grieving with his four children and declining NFL offers, James finally agreed to a one-year contract with the Seattle Seahawks on August 24, 2009, missing the team's training camp. On July 26, 2011, James announced his retirement from football.
Colts franchise records
- Most career rushing yards (9,226)
- Most career rushing touchdowns (64)
- Best career rushing yards per game average: 96.1
- Most rushing yards in a single season: 1,709 (2000)
- Most seasons with 1,000 rushing yards (5)
- Fastest player to gain 3,000 yards from scrimmage (22 GP)
- Fastest player to gain 4,000 yards from scrimmage (30 GP)- tied with Eric Dickerson
- Fastest player to gain 5,000 yards from scrimmage (36 GP)
- Fastest player to gain 6,000 yards from scrimmage (44 GP)
- Fastest player to gain 9,000 yards from scrimmage (72 GP)- tied with LaDainian Tomlinson
- Fastest player to gain 10,000 yards from scrimmage (78 GP)
- Fastest player to gain 11,000 yards from scrimmage (87 GP)
- Fastest player to gain 12,000 yards from scrimmage (95 GP)- tied with LaDainian Tomlinson
- Youngest player to gain 2,000 yards from scrimmage- 21 years, 147 days
- Youngest player to gain 3,000 yards from scrimmage- 22 years, 75 days
- Youngest player to gain 4,000 yards from scrimmage- 22 years, 132 days
- Youngest player to gain 5,000 yards from scrimmage- 23 years, 74 days
- Youngest player to gain 10,000 yards from scrimmage- 26 years, 133 days
- Youngest player to gain 11,000 yards from scrimmage- 27 years, 77 days
- Youngest player to gain 12,000 yards from scrimmage- 27 years, 139 days